3/27/12

To the Rocks

Out with the skis, in with the climbing gear!


On Sunday, Me, Ryan, and our friend Mike went for our first climb of the season.  We made our way to Clear Creek Canyon, right outside of Golden, and only about 15 minutes from our apartment. 


We had to do a little hiking just to get to the climbing area.   Everyone was impressed little Zia made it up (we were too!).


Ryan 'set' the route first -- so he clips in the rope every 10 few feet or so, with Mike belaying him below.  As Ryan progresses through the clips, he attaches the rope, which limits the length of a potential fall.  When he reaches the top, he set up a top rope for me to climb next.

Mike is belaying him the entire time, but if Ryan slipped right before he clipped in, then he would fall down to the next closest clip.  So, it's a little more tricky then what I do, by just climbing top rope.  Definitely have to be a skilled climber to set any route! 


I'm up next.
Helmet on.
Don't look down. 


And Mike right after me.

You can see how high up the route was, and then to the left an even taller route.  Eep, I'll have to work up to that (did I mention I'm terrified of heights?).  It's crazy we used to drive hours to find some outdoor climbing and now it's right in our backyard. 


And on our way back to the car...
a glimpse into some extreme climbing.  That overhang is insane and he is dominating it.

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap, this is the first time I've ever prayed for snow. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the one thing I still haven't tried since I've been in Colorado! I may try a climbing wall first though. This is a teensy bit too scary for me right now. ;) You brave souls!!

    ReplyDelete