8/15/12

On the Bookshelf: recommended reads


Instant Love: How to Make Magic and Memories with Polaroids by Susannah Conway, Amanda Gilligan, Jenifer Altman - I'm a big fan of Ryan Marshall, author of the blog, Pacing the Panic Room. A couple months ago he posted a video he made for the project and book, Instant Love and I knew it was a book I wanted to dive into.  The photos looked amazing and to hear a bit more about Polaroid from 3 talented photographers was something I knew that would keep my attention.  It was a great little read and I actually learned a thing or two or twenty about photography!  I picked this book up on sale at Urban Outfitters.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns) by  Mindy Kaling - This book was recommended by Valerie and then I recommended it to my Book Club!  Kaling is one of the writers for The Office and also plays a character in the show.  In the book she talks about her time working for The Office, being a female writer in a predominately male field, and her real life friends and actors, among many other things.  She's witty.  So witty, and a good story teller with quite the interesting life story of trying to make it big in New York City. 

Divergent by Veronica Roth - Oh, young adult trilogies.  I love you so.  This first book of the trilogy was a recommendation from  friend's mom (who loves YA as much as I do!). The book felt like a mix between The Host and of course, Hunger Games.  It takes place in a dystopian world with 5 factions that you can belong - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).  The book follows a young girl, Beatrice, as she struggles with following her families values and setting off on her own into adulthood, following her heart as she chooses a new faction. There might be a little love story in there too.. for good measure.  Go read it!

2 comments:

  1. I've actually been meaning to read Divergent. I've heard such great things about it. The cover kind of reminds me of Hunger Games too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should give it a go. the general concept of divergent is similar to HG, but the story felt really different. i still enjoyed it!

      Delete