9/28/12

On the bookshelf: the end of summer reads

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - Once I finished with this book, I immediately sent a text to my friend asking if he had read it and could explain what the heck I missed.  I knew I must have missed something... I needed my high school English teacher to help me break down the book, find the hidden meanings.  I've heard from many that The Alchemist is their favorite book, so I thought it would have many more "ah-ha" moments where I wanted to run through the streets shouting its message. Okay, probably not, but I thought it would be bigger somehow?

Though to my surprise, everyone at our next book club had the same response:  It was a beautiful book with a very simple message, be kind, listen to your heart, and follow your dream. That's it!  Now I'm very happy and content with the simplicity of the story.


Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy book 2) by Veronica Roth - Read about my thoughts on the first book here.  While Divergent really explored the factions that make up this new world and how Beatrice and her brother make their way through initiations and training. This second book puts these skills to the test as the world turns upside down with corrupt leads and war.  It's quite a thrilling ride.  Now, we have to wait until next year to find out what happens!  This young adult book is a great, easy read.  I'm really enjoying the series.  Now,  write, write, write, Veronica. 






Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon - Our book club pick for the month was a creeeeeepy one; gearing up for Halloween it just made sense, but I'm a huge wimp and I had to read this book in the daylight with someone else next to me.  I just finished it up on our recent trip to Oklahoma and by the last page, still had no idea how it would turn out.

It was quite the thriller, and a really good one, if that's your sort of thing.  I'm just glad I finished it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment